Monday, April 20, 2009

A good time was had by all


The 45th annual Kern River Festival wrapped up yesterday after a jam-packed weekend of paddling. I got into Kernville on Friday to help set up the Slalom gates and get in some practice in my borrowed plastic slalom boat. By Sunday I had managed to borrow a nicer composite boat which helped me finish a respectable third place in my class.

Saturday was the Brush Creek downriver race and giant slalom. The downriver part started fine until I got broached and pinned temporarily in a rocky little channel of no consequence. It took about 15 seconds to free myself but also used up all my energy. The eventual winner (Brett Duxbury) was right behind me and I just managed to avoid getting overtaken on the course. The giant slalom, more of an obstacle course, went better though I missed one gate by accidentally hitting it out of the way with my paddle. The final part of the Brush Creek Triple Crown was a run down the slalom course in the same boat (my Rocker for me) and that went quite well - though once again the eventual winner was right behind me and pushing on my heels).

I have tons of photos and video but today I'm off to run Dry Meadow with some Canadians so I'll try to get things sorted out and posted shortly.

UPDATE: Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment