Saturday, June 26, 2010

non-stop paddling

Last week I taught a five day whitewater immersion course on the Trinity river. It was so nice to have the same group of students for an extended period of time while staying on the river - they learned a lot more, the group bonded together and it was like a vacation every night in camp. And with the full moon and beautiful scenery it gave me a chance to get some great PICTURES. I love my Lumix camera but it doesn't have the full SLR range and versatility so getting good moonlight pictures takes a lot of work. It ends up being a lot of guess work on how things will turn out and a lot of unfocused pictures. But when it works it's pretty cool.

After the Trinity trip we drove straight back to Coloma to start a two day Whitewater 201 class. It's not quite the same but it's fun to be teaching back 'at home' where the flows are down to their normal perfect (for teaching) summer levels. Then I get to go paddling for a few days (trying to put together a multi-day trip somewhere in the sierras). Then hopefully some more teaching and some more paddling. I'm going to see if I can get two solid weeks in a row with being on the river every day.

UPDATE: video is uploaded:

No comments:

Post a Comment