Thursday, May 28, 2009

Nirvana?

The Devil's Canyon run on the Middle Fork of the Feather River is often referred to as the best multi-day kayak run in California (and thus possibly the world). While that is clearly a subjective claim and everyone will have their own personal favorite, I think it is likely that the Middle Feather will top my list for quite a while. Before the season started I put this on my calendar for Memorial Day weekend and then told a few good friends to add it to theirs, just hoping the flows and schedules would work out. We ended up with perfect flows (probably the last of the year), everyone I had hoped to come made it (and a few more friends as well), and everything came together for an awesome trip.

Not to say everything was perfect. We had a group of 9 which made logistics a little harder and things moved a little slower. We had two broken boats, one broken helmet (and sore head and back to go with it), I got seriously worked in a hole and swam (for the second time in as many weeks) and we made it off the water on the third day with about five minutes of partial daylight to spare. Not to mention the midnight shuttle. But all that just adds to the story. Now I can't wait to get back and do it again...

Some video and pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment