Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Happy Holidays

First off, Merry Christmas to all. I hope everyone out there is having a great time with friends and loved ones, and that Santa is leaving plenty of paddling gear to be used in the new year. I love this time of year for many reasons, but since this is a paddling blog I'll stick the things relevant to kayaking.


I hate winter. I hate being cold. I don't like the rain (paddling in it is fine, but changing out of paddling gear in a muddy parking lot is no fun). Most of all, I don't like the short days and early darkness. I don't let is stop me from kayaking, but it makes it harder to enjoy all the things I like. I like to be outside, to be able to work and walk without getting soaked. I like to sit around a river after a paddle, enjoying a warm evening and beautiful sunset. To cruise on cool water as the sun scorches down. I enjoy summer.

December is the start of winter - so why do I like this time of year? The solstice has just passed. That means the days are getting longer. I know that winter has plenty left. January and February are the coldest, March the rainiest. But just knowing that sunset will arrive later and later makes me happy. Makes me hopeful that spring will arrive soon and summer will follow. And much paddling will ensue.


No comments:

Post a Comment