Sunday, May 16, 2010

Long live the king

I'm attending a wedding of a paddling buddy today. While I know from past experience that it means he won't be paddling as much anymore, I'm OK with that. My life may center around paddling but many times I think that it is probably not the best way for most people to live. We need folks doing real things to create the rest of the stuff I also enjoy in life. My buddy Rob, for instance, helps to make sure satellites stay in orbit which is important in some way I'm sure. I'm happy for him because he is happy with his choices and I don't resent the fact that I'll lose another paddling partner. Luckily there are always folks to go paddling with.

Of course I'm not going to pass up the chance to use Rob's wedding as an excuse to get some paddling in while down in SoCal. On Friday I went out kayak surfing in Palos Verdes with Rob and his best man Phil. Small waves but still a fun day. Yesterday I headed up to the Kern to get in a little whitewater. I got to take Giselle down Ant Canyon for the first time and it's always fun to see someone get smacked around by the big water feel of that stretch but to keep rolling up with a smile. I even talked her into running the sneak on Lower Salmon Falls which really turns the day into an adventure - and that is, after all, the best part about kayaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment