Saturday, November 21, 2009

Back on the river

After what seems like forever (actually five months) I finally got back on a whitewater river of substance. Though not too much substance - it's only a two mile run, it was very low water and realistically it's a class IV river. Matt and Taylor and I headed up to do the Bear River just outside Colfax off I-80. This is another rare river that is running this fall due to dam maintenance, and another first descent for me.

It was a perfect day to shake the cobwebs off and start the winter boating season. The river was rather technical with a number of undercuts and some sieves and general mank. But nothing too hard. And the water was relatively warm and a sunny day made the canyon quite pleasant. Now I'm ready to start getting on the goods - hopefully the NF Feather Poe run where the dam maintenance should mean boatable flows through January.

I'm afraid my helmet cam wasn't working but here is a short clip of some foamy fun at the put in.

No comments:

Post a Comment